CRADLE MOUNTAIN - WILDERNESS RAILWAY - GORDON RIVER CRUISE
(This trip can also start and finish in Launceston with Day 1 being slightly different)
- Your tour take you through historic New Norfolk to Derwent Bridge and will travel through Tarraleah an old Hydro Village from the early 1900's.
- We will call into Greg Duncan's famous Wall in the Wilderness - the history of the Pioneer Days of Tasmania carved in Huon Pine with many other amazing items as well as a wonderful display of silk paintings and also many structures carved out of steel.
- We will have lunch at the Derwent Bridge Hotel or the Wombat Cafe before heading out to the edge of Cynthia Bay at Lake St Clair NP. This is the deepest fresh water lake in Australia.
- You will enjoy a short 20 minute return rainforest walk to the beautiful Nelson Falls
- We will drive down to the historic Mining Town of Queenstown which used to be called "Copper City". Here will be your night's accommodation
Your night's accommodation will be in Queenstown
- Today you will step back in time and join a 3-4 hour journey on the ABT Wilderness Railway.
- The West Coast Wilderness Railway is a 35 Kilometer Rack and Pinion Railway running from Queenstown. The railway uses
the fully restored 100 year old Steam Loco's that ran on
the original rail line that was built for the Mt Lyell Mining
& Railway Company in the late 1800's.
- You will hear stories of the past while taking in the spectacular views and experience some of this very untouched area of Tasmania.
- After your journey I will take you up to Zeehan
an old silver mining city which back in the late 1800's was the third
largest city in Tasmania. Here is the magnificent Wilderness Museum
depicting many old photos of the past, the origional steam engines used
in the late 1800's, the Gaiety Theatre where people from all over Australia came to see various shows and performances.
- We will then make our way to Strahan for your night's accommodation.
- Today you will join family owned Gordon River Heritage Cruises for a trip out on Macquarie Harbour and up through to the Gordon River.
- Discover some of Australia’s oldest convict ruins on Sarah Island, a settlement which pre-dates Port Arthur
- Hear the intriguing story of Macquarie Harbour and its settlement
- Cruise past the the rugged mountain ranges in Tasmania’s World Heritage South West National Park
- Enjoy a sumptuous buffet lunch freshly prepared on board - includes smoked salmon, cold meats, a selection of salads, fresh fruit, Tasmanian cheeses and local bakery bread rolls.
your cruise you will have time to have a look at the Timber Factory and
locally hand crafted items from our local native timbers.
Your night’s accommodation will be in Strahan
- Today we tour to Cradle Mountain via Tulla an old mining and hydro village.
- There is a short board walk around Dove Lake (2-3 hrs) (if you like - and weather dependent). There are also shorter walks e.g. the Enchanted Forest (20 minutes)
- There is also Gustov Wandorfer's museum and also the Discovery Centre to have a look at and a worthwhile visit.
- Depending on the weather there is a great night wildlife tour here which gives you a chance to see Tasmanian Devils and sometimes the Eastern Spotted Quoll and plenty of wombats in their own environment.
Your night's accommodation will be in Cradle Mountain .
- From Cradle Mountain we will make our way through Mole Creek calling into Chudleigh Honey Farm (not open Saturdays), SILK where you can taste some of Janes home cooked fudge not to mention all the beautiful silk items you can purchase and other beautiful art and crafts to admire. We will visit 41 degrees salmon and ginseng farm for a tasting of smoked freshwater salmon and pate as well as some ginseng products.
- There are also extra options on this tour - you can visit Trowunna Widllife Sanctuary and learn all about our Tasmanian Devils and other native animals or the Mole Creek Caves and the underground waterways and rivers with glow worms.
- There is also a small boutique winery called The Three Willows Vineyard if you would like to try some local wines.
- We will stop off at Deloraine the art and craft capital of Tasmania with the Silk and Yarn Museum which is well worth a look at.
- After leaving Deloraine we will make our way up to Launceston.
Your night's accommodation will be in Launceston
$1489 per person (4 people)
$2242 per person (2 people)
(Quotes given for different accommodation and numbers)
This includes flexible private tour/4-5 star accommodation for 5 nights incl breakfasts
Gordon River Cruise/Wilderness Railway/ Entry into Wall in the Wilderness/
Heritage Museum Entry/ NP Passes
Please note that all prices include GST
Tasmania Tours - Private and customised
Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence
Facebook Like Button
"Vicki went out of her way to make my trip to Tasmania special from careful driving to wonderful accomodations to delicious unexpected meals to history tips to understanding the ..."Gari CarterAuthor