The Huon Trail Tasmania - Bruny island, D'Entrecasteaux Channel, Huon Valley & The Far South
5 Days 4 Nights
- Mt Nelson and the historic Signal Station with stunning views of Hobart and surrounds
- Enjoy a panoramic coast drive passing through Tinderbox and Howden to Margate
- Stroll amongst all the different carriages in Tasmania's last Passenger Train,
commonly known as the Margate Train. Here you'll find the lollie shop
to bring you back to your childhood favourites and great coffee. We stop
here for morning tea.
- We then visit the Inverawe Native Gardens with over 40,000 species of native plants and great historic interpretation trails of the exploration of the early explorers of this region not to mention the amazing bird life here.
- Our next stop is Brookfield Margate for a light lunch. The Brookfield Shed was built in the early 1940s for a German Man called Eugene Klinger. Its purpose was to collect flower and vegetable seeds for Yates Seeds. The slatted drying floor is still in place. The mezzanine floor houses the Tudor Court Model Village and German Model Train World
- Experience Tasmania's rich heritage at the beautifully located Hartzview Wine Centre incorporating Cafe, Gallery and Provido where you can explore the restored fruit pickers' huts - home to workers and their families, and Italian Prisoners of War in the early 1900s. You can select from a wide range of wines, ports and liqueurs.
- We will then visit Grandvewe Sheep Cheesery where you can experience some local sheep's cheese and some their local produce.
- Our day will finish with sitting back and enjoying a beautiful scenic drive around the coastline of the D'Entrecasteaux Channel passing through picturesque villages of Middleton and Verona Sands while taking in some spectacular scenery.
Your night's accommodation will be in Cygnet
- Before leaving Cygnet there is time to have a look around this unique village steeped in history and is the centre of the Art Trail of the south
- We will continue our panoramic coastal drive around the small coastal villages of Lymington Petchys and Glaziers Bay to either a local winery or cidery for a tasting and look around.
- We drive to Franklin a beautiful village set on the Huon River. Here we will visit the Wooden Boat Centre Tasmania’s learning centre provides the only nationally accredited, trade-level Certificate course in wooden boat building in Australia.
The main emphasis is on the use of Tasmania’s unique boat building timbers – the legendary Huon Pine, as well as King Billy Pine, Celery Top and Tasmanian Blue Gum.
- We will then drive to Port Huon just down the road for lunch at the Kermandie Hotel as it is a traditional 1930’s Pub with lots of character and great food set across from the Huon River.
- After lunch we will drive to Geeveston for a visit to the Forest and Heritage centre and then onto the Tahune Airwalk with breathtaking views of the forest canopy and the Picton & Huon Rivers.
- Your night's accommodation will be at Cambridge House B&B in Geeveston a heritage listed 1870 home and also home to the resident platypus family living in their garden.
- After a hearty home cooked breakfast we will call into the Southern Design Centre where local artworks are on display and you can see some beautiful woodwork carved out of local native timbers.
- We then will continue our coastal drive with panoramic views out to the Huon River and D'Enrecasteaux Channel passing the Huon Salmon Farms and onto Surveyors Bay and onto Dover for lunch at the St Imre Vinyard where you can enjoy some wine tastings and tasting plates or try some of Kits famous Hungarian food. There is also some beautiful artwork here and handcrafted huon pine treasures.
- Your next stop is a 2HR train road at Ida Bay Railway Australia's southern most bush railway that takes you out to Deep Hole via bush land abundant with bird life and wild flowers. The scenic water views are superb and the beach at Deep Hole is beautiful. OR a tour at Hastings Caves one of the world's great Dolomite caves.
- It is possible to do both attractions in the summer if you wish.
- We will return to Geeveston to Cambridge House for your second night's accommodation.
- Today we leave Geeveston to travel up through the Huon Valley calling into the The Huon Valley Apple & Heritage Museum and discover some the Huon Valley's rich history before calling into the Huon Visitor Centre with a colourful display of local art and produce for sale.
- Our next stop is to cross over to Bruny island which is rich in history, has spectacular landscapes and delicious produce. We will drive up to North Bruny island to Dennes Point and enjoy lunch at the Art Gallery where you can see a wonderful dsplay of local artwork by Artists who live here on the island.
- We then make our way down to Adventure Bay via Get Shucked Oysters for a tasting if you wish and then next door to Bruny island Cheese where you can sample some of their beautifully made cheeses.
- Before crossing the Isthmus which joins North & South Bruny, you can climb to the top of the sand hummock and look out accross the neck to take in the spectacular views of the Southern ocean.
- Your night's accommodation will be at Morella island Retreat at Adventure Bay.
- Today you can join a stroll along the beach at Adventure Bay - taste some local Bruny Island Fudge before joining your Bruny island 3 Hr Eco Cruise which takes you down to a seal colony, explore some sea caves and take in the great 300mtre Cape Fluted Cliff faces and spotting all the wildlife than can occur along the way.
- I will pick you up to continue your tour on Bruny island and call into the Bruny Island Berry Farm (Seasonal) and onto the Premium Wines the Southern Most Winery in Australia with it's award winning Pinot Noir.
- Our final stop will be to the furtherist point and the famous Cloudy Bay lighthouse with spectacular coastal views across the Tasman and beyond.
We then return to Hobart via the ferry for your night's accommodation.
$1195 per person (4 people)
$1875 per person (2 people)
(Quotes given for different accommodation and numbers)
This includes flexible private touring
4-5 star accommodation for 4 nights incl 4 cooked breakfasts
Entrance Fees to: Inverawe Native Gardens
Tudor Court Model Village & German Model Train World
Wooden Boat Centre, Tahunue Airwalk,
Ida bay Railway OR Hastings Caves Tour
NP Passes & Bruny island 3 Hr Eco Cruise
Please note these prices are inclusive of GST
Tasmania Tours - Private and customised
Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence
Facebook Like Button
"Can't thank you enough for the fantastic day spent on Bruny. Nothing quite like being able to experience all the secret spots and beautiful scenery ,eating marvellous local pro..."MelIndependent traveller