Tasmania's North West - Tarkine - Arthur River - Dismal Swamp
Depart and Return Launceston
- Your tour can start either from your accommodation or Airport arrival at Launceston. We will then make our way through the picturesque quaint villages of Westbury and Carrick through to Deloraine to have a look at some of their wonderful art and craft stores and sometimes meeting some of the local artisans themselves.
- We will then travel onto 41 Degrees South Salmon and Ginseng farm where freshwater salmon is grown and smoked on the premises. You will have a chance to taste some of their products. Your next stop will be the Chudleigh Honey Farm whee you can taste some of the locally made honey before moving onto Sheffield the town of Murals depicting various artists works on the side of buildings.
- Your tour then takes you into Cradle Mountain for your night's accommodation.
- Today there are a few options of walks depending on the weather.
- There is a short board walk called the Dove Lake Circuit (2-3 hrs) (if you like - and weather dependent). There are also shorter walks e.g. the Enchanted Forest (20 minutes)
- There is also Gustov Wandorfer's museum and also the Discovery Centre to have a look at and a worthwhile visit.
- We will then make our way up to Burnie early in the afternoon so we can call into Hellyers Distillery for a whiskey tasting if you would like and a tour can also be arranged depending on the time we leave Cradle Mountain. We will also call into Guide Falls which are always spectacular.
- Your accommodation would be in Burnie.
- Today we will call into the Makers Workshop before leaving Burnie. Here is where local artisans have their work on display and is also a small museum and locally made items for sale in their gift store.
- We will then make our way out to Wynyard and the Table Cape with panoramic views across the Bass Strait and in September/October the tulips are out with a great array of colour in spring.
- We will then take a panoramic drive through the lush dairy countryside of somerset and to a small village of Boat Harbour with a stunning white beach and turquoise waters.
- We will then make our way to your accommodation the Tarkine Wilderness Lodge which offers walks through the pristine Tarkine Rainforest.
- This is a very special place in Tasmania and time to relax and unwind and take in the beauty that surrounds you.
- Your hosts at the Tarkine Wilderness Lodge are experienced guides who can escort you on a safe, yet breathtaking stroll through the largest temperate rainforests in the southern hemisphere, providing visitors with plenty of information on this ancient 60 million year old forest home to many threatened and endangered species.
- Your 2 night's stay includes an hour's walk through the rainforest but there are many more options for your to choose from if you wish or you can just sit back and take it all in.
- Your night's accommodation will be in the Tarkine Wilderness Lodge.
- Your tour includes Stanley this historic Georgian Village situation at "The Nut" a volcanic plug dated back millions of years ago. Here you can enjoy lunch, a stroll around the village and maybe a chairlift ride to the top and a short walk around to see the panoramic views of Stanley and beyond.
- Your next stop will be Dismal Swamp sinkhole which is a dramatic sign on the earth's surface of an underground world of caves, springholes and streams. It is the only blackwood sinkhole in the world.
- We will then make our way through to Marrawah one the top world surfing beaches where surfers come from all parts of the world to surf the giant swells of the southern ocean.
- We will then drive down to Arthur River a town set at the mouth of Tasmania’s last wild river, where the world’s greatest tract of temperate rainforest drains into the mighty southern ocean. Here the roaring 40′s meet the rugged west coast of Tasmania at a place so awe inspiring that early explorers named it “The Edge of the World”.
- Your night's accommodation will be in the town of Arthur River.
- The Arthur River is one of the State’s seven major rivers, but it is the only one which is completely wild, having never been logged, dammed or had a hot fire through the rainforest for almost 650 years.
- Today you will enjoy a cruise on the M.V. George Robinson . Your tour includes a guided tour, morning tea, full lunch, optional walks, a chance to see and feed Sea Eagles, spot local wildlife. The tour guides are all local people and they impart a wealth of knowledge on the plant life, the history of the area and of the Aboriginal tribes who once lived here.
- You will then return to your night's accommodation in Arthur River.
- Today your tour takes you through a few of the back roads and less explored areas of Tasmania. We will drive down to Couta Rocks which is noted for the place where the sea can rage. This stretch of coast is dubbed the roaring 40s, where prevailing gale-force winds blow persistently from the west. This is a small fishing village with local shacks but has magnificent landscapes and great views of this rugged part of Tasmania.
- We will then make our way across to Smithtown via Irishtown and Edith Creek for your night's accommodation.
- Today your tour ends with a lovely coastal trip through Burnie and the delightful villages of Penguin and Sulphur Creek to Latrobe and Anvers for some chocolate tasting and then onto Ashgrove Cheese factory for some cheese tasting or try some of their delicious home made ice-cream.
- I will then return you to Launceston for your night's accommodation.
THIS TRIP INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
Private tour with flexibility/Driver/Guide Fuel for 8 days
8 nights accommodation in 4-5 Star inclusive of breakfasts and all meals at Tarkine Wilderness Lodge
- National Parks Passes
- Arthur River Cruise
-Dismal Swamp Entry
$2345 per person (4 people)
$3495 per person (2 people)
Please note that all prices are inclusive of GST
(Quotes given for other numbers)
Tasmania Tours - Private and customised
Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence
Facebook Like Button
"We spent an amazing 12 days with Vicki. What makes her an incredible guide is that she hones in on each client"s specific trip expectations and does her best to meet those expe..."Darrell and Jill Shrader