North West Tasmania - The Tarkine - Stanley - Woolnorth Wind Farm
Depart Launceston 8.00a.m.
- Today we will make our way up to the North West of Tasmania with a short stop at Ashgrove Cheese for a cheese tasting if you wish and before making our way through the coastal villages of Penguin and Sulphur Creek before stopping off at Burnie and The Makers Workshop to have a look at some of the local art and crafts and sometimes seeing some of the makers at work.
- I will take you out to Table Cape Lighthouse with stunning views over Bass Strait. When it is Mid-September to Late October there are stunning colours of tulips and other crops in flower. Spring is a lovely time to travel in this part of Tasmania.
- We will then make our way up to Stanley this historic Georgian Village situation at "The Nut" a volcanic plug dated back millions of years ago. There will be plenty of time to stroll around the village and maybe a chairlift ride to the top and a short walk around to see the panoramic views of Stanley and beyond.
- Stanley will be your night's accommodation.
- Today your tour will take you to Woolnorth Wind Farm. The Tour consists of three main elements. The first is an up-close visit to the cliff top towers of the Woolnorth Wind Farm and information centre. The second is a visit to the historic Woolnorth property homestead and historic precinct, while driving through wonderful dairy lands of the Van Diemen’s Land (VDL) Company. Finally, a visit to the breath taking Cape Grim where we see the wonderful coastline, breathe the cleanest air in the world, and witness all the islands off the North West Coast of Tasmania.
- After your tour
we will make our back to Simthton for some lunch and a little shopping
for food for the next 2 nights as you accommodation will be in a rustic
area of Tasmania of Arthur River with no catering
available so your accommodation will be in a self contained house with
amazing views of the edge of the earth as we call it.
- On your way we will call into Dismal Swamp.
This is the only blackwood sinkhole in the world. Unlike many other
places, blackwoods flourish here and their secret lies in the company
they keep and the seeds they drop that can stay dormant in soil for up
to a century. Usually germination is only triggered in a disturbance
such as wild fire, flood or logging, but in this swamp, little
burrowing crayfish are continually churning the damp soil to provide
ideal conditions.There are some short walks or if you would rather there is a quicker way down by slide!
- Your tour takes you to Marrawah a stunning coastal beach where surfers come from all over the world to surf the huge swells here in the Southern Ocean at certain times of he year. We will then make our way to Arthur River for your nights accommodation.
- Today you will enjoy a cruise on board the M.V. George Robinson up the Arthur River and the Tarkine Wilderness, This includes a guided walk through this magical place before enjoying a fully cooked BBQ lunch.
- In the afternoon you will have plenty of time to explore this hidden landscape and rugged coast of the "Edge of the Earth" and The Great Southern Ocean. Your night's accommodation will be in Arthur River
- Today we will leave Arthur River to explore further into the Tarkine to enjoy a few short walks.
First off we will call into Couta Rocks an amazing little village
dotted out on a peninsula of the Coastline with rugged litttle cottages
in amongst these giant rocks and craggy outcrops. It will be then off to
do a short walk into into Lake Chisholm a permanently flooded sinkhole.
This is a delighfful half an hour walk in amongst the Giant Eucalyptus
Trees and other rainforest species.
- We will then take a different view of this region and visit the Dempster Plains - open buttongrass moorlands which have a long history of burning by the Aborigines . We will then make our way to Smithton and Tall Timbers for your night's accommodation.
- Your last day of tour will take you to the Tarkine Wilderness Lodge where you will enjoy a short Guided Tour through some of the ancient Myrtle and Eucalypt Forest of this World Heritage Rainforest. This is a special part of some of the only remaining true cold temperate rainforest in the world. Afterwards you will enjoy a light lunch before returning to Launceston for your night's accomoodation.
Cost for this trip will be
$2075 each for 2 Persons
$1455 each for 4 persons
Please note that all prices include GST
Quotes given for other numbers
Personal Guide /driver/fuel for 5 days offering flexibility while touring
5 Nights Accommodation 4 star rooms with ensuite 3 x breakfasts
2 x lunches
Woolnorth Farm Tour
Dismal Swamp Entrance
Arthur River Cruise
Tarkine Wilderness Guided Walk
Tasmania Tours - Private and customised
Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence
Facebook Like Button
"We could only manage a one day trip with Vicky who is an excellent driver. Not only is she passionate about Tasmania, but she passed on some of that enthusiasm as we visited Bru..."Ishbel, Carmen, Marlene