13 DAY TOUR TASMANIA & THE GREAT OCEAN ROAD
DAY 1 -We start with the Tasmania Tour (This can also start from Melbourne)
- Pick you up at the Hobart Airport
- Depending on your time of arrival I would take you into Richmond a quaint Georgian Village and if you like some wine and cheese tasting on your way to Hobart and a short city tour including Mt Wellington before taking you to your accommodation in Hobart.
- Today your tour will take you out to Mt Field NP the oldest National Park in Tasmania
- Drive through historic New Norfolk passing hop farms and beautiful scenery along the way to Possum Creek Art Gallery & Cafe for morning tea at quaint Westerway. If you are lucky you will spot a wild platypus
- We drive up to Lake Dobson to enjoy a short boardwalk in Mt Field National Park, an arctic wilderness where Giant Pandanii thrive
- On our way down I will drop you off for a 40-50 big tree walk passing over 75 metre tall hardwood pines and blackwood, sassafras and myrtle through the park. You will also have the opportunity to view both the spectacular 'Horseshoe' and 'Russell Falls'
- We can then return to Hobart via the Salmon Ponds, the oldest trout hatchery in the Southern Hemisphere. It was the birthplace of trout in Australia
- We will return to Hobart for your night's accommodation
Travel down to the Tahune Airwalk at Geeveston through the beautiful Huon Valley .You can stop off at the Forest and Heritage Centre before heading out to the Airwalk .The Airwalk itself is just 620m in length and is a level structure with a steel walkway. Transport is provided to the start of the Airwalk for those with walking difficulties. For those without walking difficulties, the Airwalk and access paths are a total distance of 1.6km and include 112 steps. See the trees and river with a bird's-eye view as you walk 20 metres above the forest floor.There are a few short walks to suit all levels of fitness.
A visit to the Wooden Boat Centre situated on the Huon River at Franklin where they teach the old traditional skills of wooden boat building to a new generation of craftspeople from all over the world. The Wooden Boat Centre Tasmania’s learning centre provides the only nationally accredited, trade-level Certificate course in wooden boat building in Australia.
We will then return to Hobart for your night's accommodation
- Today we travel to the beautiful Tasman Peninsula Sth of Hobart for some short walks to the Tesselated Pavement , Devils Kitchen , The Tasman Arch with some panoramic views down the coastline.
- You will then travel down to Port Arthur the historic Penal Settlement for a self guided tour inclusive of a short harbour cruise and a 40 minute interpreted walk of the history surrounding Port Arthur
- We will drive down to Remarkable Cave with amazing spectacular panoramic views out to Cape Pillar and Raoul over 300 metre cliff faces.
- We will then return to your accommodation in Hobart
- Today you will make your way to the East Coast of Tasmania to Freycinet NP . On the way we will call into Kates Berry Farm to sample some of the local jams and home made chocolate and other produce.
- For those who enjoy fresh oysters and mussels I suggest lunch at the Freycinet Marine Farm.
- There are many short walks to enjoy here including the Wineglass Bay walk and I will also take you up to Cape Tourville for some stunning views of the East Coast and surrounds.
- We will then make our way to Bicheno for your night's accommodation.
- Today you will make your way up to Launceston via Natureworld to see Tasmanian Devils and wallabies and wombats along with an amazing aviary of native birds.
- We will then drive to Launceston via St Marys Pass and visit the Cataract Gorge where you will enjoy a short walk and chairlift ride over the magnificant basin and gardens below .
- Your night's accommodation will be in Launceston
- Today we will make our way to Cradle Mountain via Sheffield the town of Murals
- You will enjoy an afternoon at Cradle Mountain where you can enjoy a few short walks depending on the weather. There is an enchanted forest walk and the Dove lake Board Walk.
- A visit to Gustov Wandorfer's museum founder of this national Park back in the early 1900's with another short walk amongst the Giant Pandanii endemic to Tasmania.
- Your night's accommodation will be The Cradle Mountain Chateau
- Today your tour will take you to Devonport where we board the Spirit of Tasmania for our night's crossing sailing the Bass Strait to Port Melbourne.
- We will travel up to the beautiful North West of Tasmania via St Hellyer Gorge a road passing through some beautiful temperate rainforest areas to Wynyard a delightful seaside town and to the magnificant Table Cape with incredible views out to Bass Strait and beyond. Here around September and October is an incredible display of colour as this where tulips are grown and also the opium poppies.
- You will then enjoy a picturesque coastal drive through Burnie and small seaside villages of Penguin and Ulverstone to Devonport.
- Your night's accommodation will be a self-contained twin cabin with porthole on the Spirit of Tasmania. (January & February Business Class Seating)
DAY 9 - Your start of the Great Ocean Road
- Today we leave Port Melbourne and start our journey on the Great Ocean Road driving through Torquay and stopping off at the famous Bells Beach, through Anglesea, Split Point Lighthouse with some stunning panoramic views and onto Lorne where your night's accommodation will be at The Grand Pacific Hotel.
- Your tour then follows the 243 Km stretch of road down through Apollo Bay and The Great Ottway National park to Cape Otway Light station with views out to bass Strait and the Southern Ocean. The road travels through stunning coastline beaches, cliffs and rainforest areas.
- You will see the famous 12 Apositles before making our way to Port Campbell for your night's accommodation.
- We will leave Port Campbell and travel via the magnificant views of the London Bridge & Arch along the Ocean Road to the delightful historic village of Port Fairy.
- In the afternoon you will have time to wander around this delightful village with some great architecture, cafes and galleries.
- Your night's accommodation will be in Port Fairy.
- Today we leave the coast to explore a little of the inland while making our way up to the famous Grampians renowned for it's amazing scenery.
- We will call into the historic town of Penshurst, home of the extinct volcano of Mt Rouse. Penshurst has some beautiful bluestone buildings and the charm of a beautiful German Settlement. The Mt Rouse summit provides panoramic views of the lava plain and surrounding district for those who wish to make the walk. There is also a Volcanoes Discovery Centre here which is at the base of Mt Rouse. Here you can learn about the geology of Volcanoes and their history in Western Victoria.
- We will then make our way through to Dunkeld known as the Grampians Southern gateway nestled beneath the backdrop of Mt Sturgeon and Mt Abrupt. Here you can enjoy a short 40 minute walk through the Dunkeld Aboretum. There are over 7000 trees in the reserve including the second largest collection of Oaks in Australia.
- Your night's accommodation will be in Dunkeld.
- Today you will have time to explore the Grampians National Park with it's many short walks and the surrounding scenery.
- We will then return to your night's accommodation your night's accommodation in Dunkeld
- Your tour will take you back to Melbourne Airport via the freeway for your flight out or if you prefer a night in Melbourne.
THIS TRIP INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
Private tour with flexibility/Driver/Guide Fuel for 13 days
-12 nights accommodation, including 11 breakfasts
- Wooden Boat Centre entrance
Port Arthur Self Guided Tour
- National Parks Passes
- Passage and private cabin on the Spirit of Tasmania
PLEASE NOTE THESE PRICES ARE BASED ON
AN OVERNIGHT CABIN ON BOARD THE SPIRIT OF TASMANIA
DURING JANUARY & FEBRUARY DAY SAILINGS ARE AVAILABLE
$3968 per person (4 people)
$5518 per person (2 people)
This tour must be booked well in advance
Please note all these prices include GST
(Quotes given for other numbers)
Tasmania Tours - Private and customised
Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence for 2014
Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence for 2013
Facebook Like Button
"We spent 2 wonderful days with Tasmania i-Drive and were overwhelmed by the personal attention given to us. Vicki was extremely friendly, welcoming and attentive to our needs. ..."Vlad & RobVery satisfied customers